Friday, March 19, 2010

Infant & Child CPR

At each of the pre-natal classes I have attended the instructor has recommended taking an infant & child CPR class. I didn't really take this to heart because I figured that I could just call 911 if there is an emergency. Plus on TV people do CPR all the time and I figured if I needed to I could just "wing-it" or try to remember the CPR training that I had during my Red Cross swimming lessons 20 years ago. Ok, perhaps not the best idea...

Yesterday there was a last-minute cancellation in a CPR course that we were on the waiting list for, so fortunately both Christopher and I were able to take advantage of the open spots. The class was hosted by a local children's store and the attendees were all parents or grandparents of young children, plus us - the expectant couple. It was taught by American Heart Association certified instructors, took 3 hours, and covered adult, child, & infant CPR & choking. The class was very hands-on and gave us plenty of opportunity to practice on the mannequins provided. The steps are very easy to do and can really make the difference between life & death.

During the class some of the others shared stories of a family member requiring CPR, or a time when their child had choked on something, and they were really eye-opening. We learned that over their lifetime, every kid can and will find a way to choke on something (food, toys, etc.). Part of this has to do with their anatomy and how their throats are still developing. Combine that with their natural curiosity and desire to put everything in their mouth and choking is inevitable.

When we left the class both Christopher and I felt that it was the best thing we have done so far to prepare for the baby. I'm really glad we took the time to do it and I would highly recommend it for anyone.

No comments: