Friday, March 05, 2010

B. Smith

I'm sure everyone has received a phone call where the caller had the correct number, but was asking for someone else, but never have I experienced such a case of mistaken identity!

Our phone number, at some point used to belong to someone else named B. Smith. No problem - I understand that numbers get recycled over time. We figured this out pretty quickly when we were getting calls for B. Smith from various organizations, typically asking for donations.

Now for the longest time I have just been giving my phone number to have the cashier at Petco look up our rewards card number because I was generally too lazy to dig out the rewards tag on my keychain. But it wasn't until I looked at my receipt the other day that I noticed that it said B. Smith! So, B. Smith not only had our phone number at one point, but also had a pet that she purchased items for at Petco, and was a member of their rewards club. All this time when I have just been giving my phone number, my rewards purchases were being credited to her account!

Back when I was ordering takeout sushi, the restaurant I frequent tracks your order by phone number. Again, when I picked up my order the receipt showed my phone number and also read B. Smith! So not only does B. Smith have a pet (like we do) but she also orders takeout from my favorite sushi place (like I do).

Then just last week, we ordered some takeout Chinese food (we are trying to collect and sample several takeout/delivery options in the area for when the baby arrives), again our receipt read B. Smith!!

So far we have learned that B. Smith supported a variety of charities, shopped at Macy's (with a Macy's credit card), had a pet, and likes to order takeout sushi and Chinese food upon occasion. Where will she turn up next?

No comments: