Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Playing Fair

This is probably pretty odd, but I often think about how some times and numbers are used far less than others.

For example, it is social convention to have events or meetings start on the hour or half hour. TV shows, sporting events - even movies tend to start on the 5's at the very least. This being the case, there are so many times of the day that are underutilized. When was the last time you asked someone to meet you for coffee at 8:03pm? Or that you scheduled a conference call for 47 minutes? (And yes, my Outlook calendar does allow this!)

In an attempt to "share the love" amongst the underutilized times of the day I try to use unusual times whenever I can. I don't do it with work because I don't want people to think that I'm a weirdo, but I'll do things like set my alarm clock for 7:27am.

I also wonder about things like: one day will the zero button on the microwave will wear out, if I keep cooking things for 1:00, 2:00, or 3:00 minutes? It's always a crapshoot when I need to select how long to nuke things for, so I'll just pick oddball times like 1:23 minutes, or 99 seconds in hopes of "preserving" the longevity of the zero button and letting some other numbers get some glory.

No comments: