Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Harnessing the Power...

of humans?

I have often wondered if it would be feasible to capture the energy generated by people working out at the gym. All those treadmills, elliptical trainers, stationary bikes, and even weight machines could be set up in such a way that the energy exerted is stored in a battery of some sort. The power collected could be used by the fitness facility to subsidize their energy usage.

I am all for reducing waste. I am a big fan of leftovers. I love selling/giving away things on Craigslist/Ebay. I find it very cleansing/therapeutic to take bags of used clothes to Goodwill. But there always seemed to be something a little odd about all the people sweating like mad to burn calories just for the sake of burning calories. Images of some poor donkey walking in circles to mill flour pop into my head.

Well - the Internet has the answer to everything I guess. Look what a quick google search turned up: http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/03/08/human-powered-gyms-in-hong-kong/

No comments: