Monday, October 20, 2008

Giant Pumpkin

This Halloween we carved our biggest pumpkin ever - 118.8 lbs!

When we first moved to the Connecticut, one thing I found was that I needed to allocate a much larger budget for pumpkins compared to back in Toronto.

Around Halloween Loblaws always had some doorcrasher where they would sell pumpkins of all sizes for $2 each and I would often buy at least three - and sometimes as many as 6 or 7.

But around where we live now, you pay for your pumpkin by weight - 50 cents/lb. So a large pumpkin can run you over $12-$15.

While visiting a corn maze last weekend, they had pumpkins of all sizes for sale - and giant ones for only $15! After seeing this I had to have one - it was bargain I could not refuse.

The pumpkin itself weighed 118.8 lbs and after I cleaned it out it was 79.8 lbs - 39 lbs of pumpkin innards alone!

Lucky for me, my friend A's super-strong husband M was able to muscle the pumpkin into our trunk, while the rest of us just watched in amazement.














Stay tuned for pics of the carved pumpkin...

No comments: