Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ricotta Salata

I am addicted to a new cheese called Ricotta Salata.

After catching the "Italian Picnic" episode of Everyday Italian on the Food Network (because I am a picnicking fiend), I wanted to try making the main dish of Orzo with Sausage, Peppers, and Tomatoes, since orzo is one of my favorite pastas and who doesn't like sausage!

Note - I am not sure if I agree with the folks at Food Network for classifying this dish as "picnic-fare" since it is served hot, but it's quite tasty nonetheless.


This dish calls for ricotta salata, a salty crumbly cheese that I would describe as an Italian version of feta. Now like feta, I get the impression that ricotta salata is mostly used to finish off a dish. But, much like feta - I love sneaking cubes of it all on its own!! I found it it my regular grocery store, which is nice since I don't have to make a dedicated trip to a specialty store to find it, but dangerous at the same time as I could eat an entire block in a week's time :)

No comments: