Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Fever

Christopher and I have Olympic Fever! Ever since we recorded the Opening Ceremonies on our DVR and watched the whole thing from beginning to end, we have been tuning in every night. If you add up all the Olympic viewing I have done in my entire life up until Beijing, I don't think it would total to half as much as I have watched of these games so far (and there are still 4 days left).


I think there are three main contributing factors to our increase in Olympic viewership:

  • USA: we now live in the US and the US Olympic team got off to a great start in these games (thanks to Michael Phelps!)

  • HDTV: for me sports is meant for viewing in HD. And now that we have a new HDTV, we find ourselves watching different programming than before. If something is only offered in a 4:3 SD format, there is a good chance we won't be watching it. If it's upconverted SD, we'll consider it ;)

  • Time Difference: with live events being broadcasted every night right around prime time, we can't help but tune in. And if we needed any more excuses to stay up later than we already do - the Olympics would be a pretty good one. Me: Please Christopher, I'll go to bed as soon as Rogers/Dalhausser finish this match
There certainly has been lots of excitement during these games - Dara Torres, Michael Phelps, Nastia Liukin, & Shawn Johnson to name a few. Most recently we've been rather entertained by Usain Bolt's antics on the track. I wonder if we'll ever get to see this guy actually break a sweat!

No comments: