Thursday, August 07, 2008

Barter

Every once in awhile I peruse Craigslist for our area to see if there is anything interesting available. For the first time, I decided to check out the 'Barter' classifieds.

I couldn't help but find it humorous that the listings were looking for such specific items as well as what was being offered for trade. For example:
  • snowboard, guitar & Xbox360 for golf equipment/PS3 bundle
  • tattoos/body piercings for fishing equipment & guns
  • commercial grade slushie machine for utility trailer
  • tandem bike for moped or tandem kayak
  • almost new lawn tractor for reliable car
It just seems so inefficient to me, but I have never bartered before so maybe I am missing something here. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to list these items for sale on Craigslist to get money so they can purchase whatever they are looking for? I am sure it is possible to find a match for these exchanges, but if I traded in my reliable car for an almost new lawn tractor it would certainly take me a long time to get to work!!

No comments: