Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Phone down!

This week I am in Orlando for CTIA Wireless - the largest wireless trade show in the US. The biggest booths are occupied by the major handset manufacturers, Qualcomm, Ericsson, Nokia, LG, Samsung, and Motorola. These booth designs are probably the most eye-appealing I've seen compared to other trade shows I've been to. The LG booth featured a prominently-displayed DJ spinning tracks. I guess it makes sense since the mobile market is ruled by both technology and handset form-factor.

One interesting point to note is that my T-mobile phone was pretty unusable today. I have a voice and data device and it was unable to send/receive any e-mails after noon today. When I talked to T-mobile customer support they told me that 16 data towers had crashed in my area and that their engineers work working hard to get things back up and running.

I can't help but think that 50,000+ conference attendees concentrated in the Orlando area, ~90% of which are heavy users of PDA voice and data devices might have had something to do with it - hmm....

No comments: