Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Nancy and Christopher go to White Castle



Ever since I saw Harold and Kumar go to White Castle I've been dying to go. Every time we went on vacation somewhere in the US, or I was traveling on a business trip I would always check to see if there was a White Castle nearby. But I've had no such luck since I rarely travel to the midwest/eastcoast.

This past weekend Christopher suggested going on a mini-roadtrip to pick up a rug at IKEA we had been waiting for since we moved in. It was in stock in the New Jersey store and on our way to Jersey, he proposed stopping at a White Castle. Naturally I said yes :)

Being White Castle newbies, once we were inside we were completely lost trying to order. Anybody watching us try to figure out what we wanted probably thought we had just escaped from the loony bin. What we were struggling with was the Slyders. The thing about White Castle is that it only serves mini-burgers called Slyders. And we knew that they were small (the patties are 2.5 sq. inches), but we had no idea what quantity was a reasonable amount for one person to order. Christopher was hoping the combo meals would provide some guidance, but they covered quite a wide range. The options were a 4 Slyder meal, 2 double cheeseburger Slyders, 10 Slyders, and one we can't remember.

We stood back and let a few people order ahead of us, both of us paying close attention to how many burgers were being ordered. In the end, Christopher got the 2 double cheeseburger meal with fries and a chocolate shake, I got the 4 Slyder meal (2 cheeseburger 2 hamburger) with onion rings, and then we ordered some mozzarella sticks to share. As luck would have it, we ordered just the right amount of food for the two of us. Despite being intimidated by 10 burger sacks, 30 burger crave cases as well as a 100 burger option, we ended up doing just fine.

Now, I am sorry to report that I am not a big fan of White Castle Slyders. I really truly wanted to love them - especially after such favorable endorsements from Harold & Kumar, but they weren't really my taste. I liked that they were small and soft, but I found the patties very thin and quite tasteless, leaving me rather unsatisfied. Christopher thought they were okay - he prefers White Castle = to McDonald's but that really isn't saying much since doesn't really like McDonald's at all. One thing that was kinda neat was that we were at White Castle #2 located in the Bronx. We believe this to be the second White Castle ever opened!

Our next target: how about the Monster Thickburger at Hardee's? If the White Castle Slyder has a polar opposite, this would definitely be it!

No comments: