Monday, January 14, 2008

CES 2008

Every job has its perks. One of the perks of my job is that I get to go to Las Vegas for 3-4 weeks each calendar year. It's kinda crazy when you add up how much time I spend there - good thing I don't have a gambling addiction!

R2D2 remote-controllable webcams and projectors

This year, my division was exhibiting at the Consumer Electronics Show and I got to attend. And since Christopher's winter semester doesn't start until January 23rd, I thought it would be nice to bring him along in celebration of his 30th birthday.

I saw lots of neat things at the show - too many to list really. The Creative Technology booth was a frenzy of activity as they had some pretty good giveaways. I saw two guys battle it out on Guitar Hero on Expert level and was thoroughly impressed. They also had a professional gamer on their booth beating the pants off everyone even though he as playing handicapped (one hand, with 75% of his screen covered, etc.) At the Sony booth they had Sony-BMG artists in for live performances and I got to take in a Natasha Beddingfield concert one afternoon. That was a fun treat.

Larger than life Transformer on the Dolby booth

It was funny seeing little independent vendors selling their plastic Wii controller accessories or CD scratch removing tonic next to behemoth CE companies like HP, Samsung, & LG. And gaming chairs - there were SO MANY booths selling gaming chairs. There is no way to decorate a nice room around a gaming chair - it is not possible.

No comments: