Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hoagie Haven

I am a huge fan of the independent sub shop. I think it started with the heated corned beef subs I would scarf down after my Saturday morning French lessons at Alliance Francais on the way to my piano lesson. (Don't laugh - this was my Saturday routine for 12 years of my childhood. Which meant that my Friday evenings were spent doing French homework and trying to cram a week's worth of piano practising into one night.)

Back in Toronto I satisfied my sub cravings with Belly Buster (on Yonge, just north of Lawrence). The past 3 weeks I have been travelling to Princeton, NJ for work (which has a surprisingly charming downtown in fact). And what has almost made up for being on the road is this fabulous student hangout that I discovered on Chowhound - Hoagie Haven.

I don't really know what makes I good sub, but here are the things that Belly Buster & Hoagie Haven have in common:
  • late hours: key for midnight cravings
  • uber-fresh bread: delicious pillowy-soft goodness
  • veggies: interestingly enough, both these shops offer the standard lettuce, tomato, onion, & hot peppers, but that is all. Not like the other big franchises that supply a laundry list of vegetables (green pepper, cucumber, black & green olives, etc.). A classic sub shop will focus on what counts not wasting their time on the small stuff
  • mayo: it's probably just a bizarre coincidence, but both these joints spread their mayo on with a spreader versus depositing it via squirt bottle

I always try the shop's "specialty" cold sub. In places like these, it's usually the first item on the menu board. Or it is named after the store itself. Top it off with mayo, a little mustard, oil & vinegar, and salt & pepper - heaven in my belly!

I still have not managed to find my new favourite sub place close to our home in West Hartford. There used to be a Jersey Mike's 15 minutes away, but it has since closed :(

No comments: