Sunday, October 21, 2007

Anti-Room Service

I despise room service. When I travel I almost never order it. But the other night I had no choice. And in so many ways it reminded me of why I had made such a point of avoiding it.

The Place: downtown Atlanta
The Date: Sunday, October 21st
The Time: 10pm

Having just arrived into the city I was looking to grab a quick bite to eat and then head to bed. I was just looking for something light and simple. I figured Atlanta was such a world class city (yes I am still habouring a little resentment that Atlanta won the 1996 Olympic bid over Toronto) that it had to have something around to eat, even if it was 10pm on a Sunday (since there is no doubt that I would have a variety of delicious cuisines to choose from on a late-Sunday-night food run in Toronto).

I knew I was sunk when even the concierge had no recommendations for me. Even to grab some take out or whatever. I quickly hit the street to see if I could find anything suitable.

Now I rarely and I mean rarely get nervous walking in large cities alone in the evening. I have gone out for slices of pizza in NYC at who knows what hour of the night and late night Vietnamese in Dallas. I should stop here before I make Christopher nervous... But for some reason, when I was walking around Peachtree & Andrew Young International I didn't like it. So I decided to admit defeat and head back to the solace of my hotel room. So with my only other choice being the , I decided to order room service. Here is a picture of my "Confetti of Field Greens Accompanied by Crispy Potato Crostini"

Yum - salad from a bag topped with ridged potato chips. For $9.50 no less! This was definitely enough to keep me off room service for another decade.

No comments: